Skip To Main Content


Students who do not qualify for an IEP under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act may qualify for services under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 if the child

1) has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities,

2) has a record of physical or mental impairment, or

3) is regarded as having a physical or mental impairment.

All children with disabilities have the right to a free appropriate public education. If you have concerns about your child and believe that he/she has a disability that may require Section 504 Plan accommodations for special education services, please contact your child’s school administrator to begin the referral process.

Click here for more information about District 401's 504 Plans:


Here are answers to frequently asked questions about Section 504 accommodations.

This FAQ is based on background information taken from the Illinois State Board of Education's website.